Thursday, December 12, 2019

Words of Banaras

In spirituality, non-dualism, also called non-duality, means "not two" or "one undivided without a second", which primarily refers to a mature state of consciousness, in which the dichotomy of “I and other” is "transcended", and awareness is described as "centerless" and "without dichotomies". This might look uncomfortable idea for many, as in this age, people usually see everything keeping themselves in the center. In Hinduism, the ideal goal of a life is to seek moksha from the cycle of reincarnation - the final freedom, that you can hope to achieve once you realize your self’s identity with the absolute. I know it might be sounding too vague, it was/(still) is for me. I asked an Aghoris monk here in Varanasi, is it possible for a worldly person like me to get this final freedom - to never return once I leave everything behind. After all, most of my life, I have only done things for myself, keeping myself in the center - my happiness, my sorrows, my life, mine success, mine failures - full of “I”, “my” and “mine” - I can’t possibly get to that stage - at current stage, I am absolute opposite of what should have been. He listen and said, all the opposites, the two sides, all of them are ultimately illusory, because in essence all are same, you think you are on the opposite side of the river, but there is no opposite side in the first place, you are simply at the river, you don’t need to follow anyone or anything, but just perceive the illusory nature of the world around you, live consciously instead of blindly following expectations and customs, be kind to self and others, embrace degradation and pollution the same way as you would embrace purity and growth. To develop such equanimity in itself is called yoga in this life and moksha in afterlife. Everything that has had happened, it was perfect and to deny its perfection would be to deny the sacredness of all life in its full manifestation, as well as to deny the supreme being. You need to go into total darkness, then only you can appreciate the real beauty of light - that’s when self-realization happens. Every soul is Shiva but he let us choose our own path and we cover our soul with nooses and bonds, with fear, love, hatred, greed, obsession, sensual pleasure, anger and worldly possessions. On release from these bonds, there will not be any more “I” and then the soul obtains moksha. Strive for sangfroid - स्थितप्रज्ञ.

Har Har Mahadev!

- written with phone - 

2 comments:

  1. Jabardast.
    Sthitpragya ����

    ReplyDelete
  2. In recent years the Ganges River has drawn attention for its ungodly level of pollution. But the bathers are immune to all this. Nearly 2.5 million of them come each year to Banaras, this holiest of cities, on the banks of the most sacred of Indian rivers.

    ReplyDelete