Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Mother India

Just finished reading a book on Indira Gandhi. I always liked her and appreciated her as one of the finest and the courageous leader our country ever had. Almost all(not all) her decisions were justified by our country situation and necessity at that time. She has always been my role model since the time I got my little brain functioning.

Given the power and chance to rewrite history I would like to change just one instance i.e. rewrite the page of 31st Oct 1984, the day Indira took her last breath, the day she got assassinated. I am least bothered or feel upset losing any political leader whether it is Gandhi or anybody, but have an emotional and compassionate feeling for losing her. To me, losing her hurts like losing my own mother.

Perhaps she felt the steps of coming death. "If I die today, every drop of my blood will invigorate the nation"- this was the last speech she gave on 30th Oct ’84.

I observe this date as analogous to Muharram for us Indians. She died protecting the integrity of our nation. 31st Oct- Rashtriya Sankalp Diwas (National Integration Day) that we observe every year, this name conveys everything.

 

Rest in Peace Mother Indira. We will always miss you and your presence. You will live forever in our heart.

No comments: